Galaxy data can be a valuable asset, so it's important to protect it. This guide will show you how to safely backup and restore your Galaxy data.
Creating a backup of your smartphone data keeps you safe, just in case the worst happens. Making backups and restoring your data from a backup is made easy with a Samsung account, Google account or with the Smart Switch app. You can even set your smartphone to create backups automatically, ensuring that your data is secure around the clock.
There are a few ways to back up your Galaxy data. You can use a cloud service such as Google Drive or Samsung Cloud, or you can use a USB drive to store your data. If you use a cloud service, make sure you have a reliable internet connection and enough storage space.
Backup to Computer
- Download and Install the Smart Switch software for Mac or PC
- Use a known working Data USB Cable to connect your phone or tablet to the computer.
- Smart Switch might take a minute to read the contents of your device, depending on how much is saved on your phone or tablet.
- Select Backup from the options available on the computer screen
- Select ALLOW on the mobile device screen, to allow the Smart Switch software to read the contents of your device.
- Wait for the backup to complete. It may take some time if you have a lot of data to backup (ie. over 20Gbs).
- When finished, Smart Switch will show you a list of items it has successfully backed up. There may be items that are "excluded" which usually means that there was no content under that category to save.
Backup with Google account
- Go to Settings, then tap Accounts and backup.
- Under Google Drive tap Back up data.
- Tap Back up now.
- Please note: Under Backup details, you can decide whether to give permision to back up photos and videos to Google Photos.
Backup with Samsung account
- Go to Settings, then tap Accounts and backup
- Under Samsung Cloud tap Back up data.
- Select the apps that you would like to back up, then tap Back up now.
- Yur data will be backed up. The time it takes will depend on how much data is being saved. Tap Done when finished
If you're experiencing unusual behaviour on Samsung mobiles, tablets or wearables, you can send an error report or ask a question in the Samsung Members app.